First Divisions kicks off

nfa at omuthiya.jpg

The Nationwide First Divisions will kick off this weeken , 12 May, following an executive committee meeting by the Namibia Football Association (NFA) at Roadhouse Hotel in Omuthiya recently.

Numerous other decisions were also made for the advancement of the game in Namibia, while a decision regarding the position of secretary general Barry Rukoro was deferred to 2 June.

The executive committee resolved that the three streams of the Nationwide First Division will kick off on 5 and 6 May. Each stream will divide its teams into two groups to ensure completion of the leagues in good time so that the streams can catch up with other leagues that are nearing completion. The meeting also directed the streams to conduct elections of their executive committees by June 2018.

A workshop will be held for executive committee members on 1 June to discuss the longterm strategic plan of the NFA and to consider NFA guidelines on various policies. The executive committee will also hold its second meeting of the year on 2 June which will be followed by an extraordinary congress to appoint NFA electoral bodies.

The contract of Rukoro was tabled, but the issue was deferred to the emergency committee for further deliberations. The emergency committee and Rukoro will hold a meeting on 2 May where they will seek to 'resolve challenges involving interpretation of the contract and make recommendations to be tabled at an executive committee meeting on 2 June.'

Rukoro was asked to continue serving as the secretary general until 2 June after which a position on the matter will be pronounced by the executive committee.

The meeting concluded that the executive committee should concentrate on issues aimed at promoting the game of football instead of looking at matters of personal interest.

To this end a friendly football match was organised by the Oshikoto Football League in collaboration with Omuthiya Town Council at the request of NFA president Frans Mbidi. The match took place at a newly constructed football field in the town, through funding from the NFA.

Onathinge United from Onathinge village beat Omandengu FC of Onankali village 5-4 on penalties after a goalless draw.

After the match, Mbidi and Rukoro handed over six balls to Onathinge United for winning the tournament, and four balls to Omandengu FC as the runners-up.

Besides the executive committee members, the meeting was attended by Freddy Mwiya, the chief administrator of the Namibia Sport Commission, and John Kangowa, a consultant on governance on sport matters at the NSC.