Brave Warriors lose to Morocco


A goal either half saw Morocco past a resurgent Brave Warriors at a packed Mohammed V stadium in Casablanca on Saturday night in the first quarterfinal match of the 2018 African Nations Championships (CHAN) finals underway in Morocco.

Morocco scored their first goal on 35 minutes, a quick taken free kick that saw Ayoub El Kaabi finish past Loydt Kazapua and their second goal on 53 minutes through a headed goal from a corner kick by Sallahedine Saidi.

Before that ,the two sides weighted each other out well in the opening 15 minutes before Brave Warriors’ goalkeeper Lodyt Kazapua was equal to a header by captain Badr Benoun.

Riaan Hanamub had as well taken free kick from the left evaded all and missed the back of the net, while Dynamo Fredericks was booked for talking to the referee after defender Charles Hambira was fouled down the right of the Namibian defence and play continued. Morocco could have scored but Achraf Benchhakri shot over the ball from inside the box as he found space in the box following a quick play by the host from that incident.

Namibia's first corner kick came on 27 ,minutes as they continued to defend impressively and attack as a team that saw Petrus Shitembi and Hanamub combine well down the left. Vitapi Ngaruka continued his impressive showing at right back and run down the flank to win a corner on 45 minutes thanks o his persistence.

In the second half, Tiberius Lombard replaced Ferdinand Karongee at the change-over and later on Benyamin Nenkavu came on for Panduleni Nekundi.

On 69 minutes, Absalom Iimbondi free kick was headed in by Itamunua Keimuine only to be disallowed for a foul on a Moroccan defender.

Moroccan’ Mohammed Nahiri had a chance at goal on 76 minutes and his well taken free-kick hit the cross-bar as Namibia held on and saw the game out.

All in all, a gallant performance by the Brave Warriors who can attribute their downfall to inexperience in the match and will take some valuable lessons from the whole adventure in Morocco.